Sunday, April 23

Cookbook Inspiration


I've been pretty uninspired about cooking for the last several months. Being a student means my eating schedule is way out of whack and most of the time, I've been feeling too distracted and stressed to think about different cooking ingredients, tastes and all that jazz. But I got a bit of that inspiration back today while reading the Toronto Vegetarian Association's Tastes of Toronto cookbook. So now cooking is on my ever-expanding list of summer plans. yay! I originally got the cookbook as a parting gift for a cousin who was leaving town (remembering that we had gotten Sharmalade a copy when she was in the 'fax), and who had recently gone veg (as I discovered though, she's back to meat again), but realized it looked too beat up to give as a gift (it's 10 years old, and according tot he TVA staffperson I spoke to, has survived a lot of carting around). So I kept it for myself. Which is a good thing, since I've really missed The Garden of Vegan - it went mysteriously missing after I moved last October.

What I'm inspired to try out: no specific recipes, but I'd like to try to incorporate things like miso, eggplant, squashes and different grains (bulgur, couscous, quinoa etc) and noodles into my grocery store staples. I find that I'm comfortable with a pretty small repertoire of ingredients, and there are a lot of things I don't buy only because I'm not used to regularly using them in my speedy cooking routine. And I'd like to experiment with different ways of cooking with ingredients I already use (or don't use). Also, I'd like to plan my eating schedule better so that I'm less frequently in the rut of not knowing what to eat, or starving hungry and having no choice but to buy something.

5 Comments:

At 1:36 AM, Blogger been said...

thanks for the recipe tips sharm!

lintil: this weekend, in between events! 2/3 papers will be out of the way...

i agree on the not prioritizing eating, thanks for the tip. that's exactly what happens to me too. i get soooo annoyed when my stomach doesn't stop growling.

you shoudl buy another copy of the cookbook! they've reduced the price.

oh, and i guess i'm just a good non-veggie ally :)

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger rabfish said...

hmm, sounds like a cool cookbook!

you're inspiring me with the cooking plans.

I similarly hate organizing a regular cooking schedule so there's food around. Recently my family ended up with massive amounts of frozen biryani and it was so convenient for one week when for each meal i just defrosted the next baggie--didn't have to think at all. :)

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger been said...

frozen leftovers are the best! a more expensive option is the frozen dinners you can get at asian (east,souteast,south etc) supermarkets. some of them are prtty good...like those frozen parathas...yum.

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger rabfish said...

frozen parathas? genius. will keep an eye out for them...

speaking of yummy food, I picked up a jar of this incredible sauce in the burbs, and it looks like you can make it on your own: it's mostly made up of blended green chillis and cilantro. You could what you want to it: a bit of sunflower oil, vinegar...maybe even some nuts to make it crunchy. I love it on toasted bread with melted cheese on top.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger been said...

mmm...cilantro...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home