Friday, May 13

choco-nana bread

I decided that the best way to use the ripe bananas I had lying around this week was to bake a loaf of banana bread. MMM...

I hadn't made it in ages, so I searched for a recipe that wasn't too complicated. This is the one I used. It's not vegan but could easily be veganized by taking out the egg (and maybe adding another banana, or some apple sauce?):

1 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinammon (but I didn't have any)
1/8 tsp salt (basically a pinch)
3/4 c sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 ripe bananas, mashed (the more ripe, the better)
1/4 c oil
1/2 c chocolate chips (optional but I'm a chocolate fiend)

I had limited measurement tools on hand (just a cracked plastic measuring cup), so I think my actual measurement of things was quite haphazard, but it seemed to work okay. Also, my eggs were frozen (don't ask!), so I had to defrost them a bit first, and it took a while of beating for all the ice crystals to dissolve.

The method: I mixed all the dry stuff together, except the chips. Then I mixed all the wet stuff together. I added the dry to the wet, mixed well, added the chips, then mixed well again. I poured it all into a lightly greased loaf pan, and then remembered that a hint of vanilla might be nice. So I added that in, and tried to mix as well as I could right in the pan.

I stuck it in the oven at 350F for about an hour. I set the oven when I was part-way through the preparation process (it always seems to heat up faster than I can get everything ready).

The result: a pretty light and chocolatey loaf of banana bread!

1 Comments:

At 4:32 PM, Blogger been said...

frozen eggs - basically i could crack the shell off, and the inside was pretty much intact. the 'white' was translucent and frosty, the yolk was just a yellow blob. it was really frothy and there were a lot of ice crystals. oh, and the yolk was a bit clumpy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home