Sunday, April 24

Good Black Been Tortilla Wrap

This dish I made last week...I wanted to make some sort of a black been wrap, and there were a whole bunch of variations on the web. So I guaged the general mix of flavours and came up with my own. But silly me, I didn't actually write out the recipe, so now I can't remember exactly what I did. Classic been behaviour. Uh...duh...

But maybe you'll get the gist of things:

I think I sauted some onion & garlic first, adding some salt, pepper, cumin, oregano and cayenne (?) once the onions were translucent. For next time, I'd probably add some chili powder (I decided not to cuz I was cooking for people with low spice tolerance). Then I added chopped green pepper & chopped tomato, and, shortly after, a can of black beens. I let it cook and simmer and basically tried to dry up all the vegetable water. I probably added a splash of balsamic, and possibly some lime juice in the meanwhile. The end result was a pretty soft & mushy mixture- but the beens were still intact. For this dish, I think soft & mushy is good (it helps the wrap stay intact).

For a topping I grated some cheddar cheese, sliced some avocado, and chopped some tomatoes. I think some salsa and sour cream would have been nice also. You can prepare toppings while the beens are simmering.

Next: warm up some ready-made tortillas in a fry pan, on low heat, no oil. (I used flour tortillas, but would have liked to use corn tortillas. They're harder to find though). The warm-up is important cuz it ensures the tortilla is foldable. On the tortilla packet the instructions said to use a microwave, but I don't have one.

Last step (fun part!): Lay the tortilla out on a plate. Scoop the been mixture down the middle. Don't put down too much, or you won't be able to fold. Then I garnished with the toppings (cheese first so it melted nicely), and folded it up. My folding was very improvised: I folded the sides up, then turned the wrap over and folded down the top & bottom. You've gotta do all the folding quickly, while the tortilla is stil warm & foldable.

Mmm...YUMMY!! (Oh, and I read somewhere that this goes well with spanish rice!).

1 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Blogger rabfish said...

mmm, that sounds yummy :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home