Friday, April 29

(no) Carbs, anyone?

I just got a call from my landlady. She prefaced her news by telling me that the cauliflower-potato thing I made last week was "just delicious" ( I thought it was all right, not super great). She went on to tell me that her doctor had just advised her that she has to cut down on her carbs, and could I work with that now?

She's already restricted my use of tofu cuz it interferes with her thyroid levels.

Any ideas for good no-carb, no tofu dishes (and no pricey yuppie artificial subsitutes please)? I'm thinking it'll be a lot of beens, lintils, and eggs. Probably a lot of soupy stuff. And salads. Does corn count as a carb? If not then there's cornbread, cornmeal, corn tortillas...

2 Comments:

At 12:29 AM, Blogger been said...

thanks everyone for the tips :). yes, i too am thinking that she secretly would like me to be her meat chef, but it ain't gonna happen. this week i cooked a brocolli-tofu stir-fry ( a variation of the tofu-watercress recipe lintil posted! i figure a little tofu every so often can't be that terrible for her), and a simple chickpea salad (chaat), minus the potato.

oh, i just discovered that boiling tofu before cooking gives it a much nicer texture and taste. i think other people probably already knew this...for some reason i've never seen this method in the veggie cookbooks though!

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger been said...

medium firm, 4 minutes!

how does the freezing work? my tofu goes bad too quickly...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home